Projects Greater than (>1) one acre require two (2) PERMITS before the project can begin.
1). The North Augusta Stormwater Permit and
2). The SCDHEC NPDES General Permit for Construction Activities
The city of North Augusta Stormwater Management Department issues the and forwards information necessary to the state to acquire the NPDES permit. YOU ONLY HAVE to apply to the City to get both permits.
Larger Project Applications and Forms RequiredREQUIRED: Stormwater Management Permit Application for Land Disturbing Activities (NOI)
REQUIRED: Engineering Checklist
REQUIRED: A COMPLETE application is required prior to a review of the project, all elements below are required:
- includes all elements required on the completed application NOI form (the form must be printed and signed in BLUE or RED ink) by the preparer and the owner,
- provide each applicable item (required elements) listed on the ENGINEERING CHECKLIST,
- A complete Comprehensive Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (C-SWPPP) template (MSWord® file). NOTE: Using the template will provide the quickest way to gain project approval since it includes everything required in one document. To use this template, open the word file and save to your computer. If you decide not to use the template, a C-SWPPP is still required and it should be bound, have a table of contents, all pages must be numbered, tabbed and organized.
- turn in the filled in engineering checklist with page numbers for each applicable element and where it can be found in the C-SWPPP. Write the page number for each individual item and not at the top of the section. If an item is not required, write n/a. Blanks will slow down your review process.
- all associated and required elements or documents described in the the City Stormwater Management Permit Ordinance
- all associated and required elements or documents described in the the SCDHEC CGP SCR10000permit (if you use the C-SWPPP template, all items are covered in that document)
- and all fees required for review and coverage (can be found on the NOI form)
- Please visit the main construction page for helpful information on filling out the forms.
Engineers please read: SCDHEC GUIDANCE ON USING SEDCAD4
Project Review by the City SWMD and others
If your Stormwater Permit Application package is missing any required element, you will be notified that the application is incomplete and the city will not begin review of the project.
For the fastest permitting, make sure that you have included everything required with the first submittal.
Once all documentation is received and the application is deemed complete, a full review will begin. As noted above, blanks on the engineering checklist, failure to fill out the engineering checklist or not numbering your C-SWPPP to correspond with the checklist, will slow down the review. The Stormwater Department will respond to your application with comments, questions or changes required for the permit to be approved as described below.
Streamlining the process through one department: As you know, your project must undergo several reviews by several different departments within the city to meet all city code requirements. In an effort to provide developers a comprehensive review for all permitting, each department submits its comments to one person in the Planning Department. You will receive one letter/email with comments from all city reviewers of your project including Engineering, Stormwater, Planning, Sanitation, Public Safety, Property Maintenance (landscaping), or other departments.
On re-submittal of your project, you can address every item needed by the city to get approval to develop your project. Upon resubmitting, you should look at each item on the letter/email your received from the Planning Department and respond in writing to each and every one. This will speed up the process. Failure to respond will leave reviewers guessing as to whether the comment was seen, addressed, ignored, etc. If further comments are generated from the resubmitted application, the process will repeat.
ON-Site SWPPP (OS-SWPPP) Once your project is approved and begins, an OS-SWPPP is required to be maintained on site during the duration of the construction project. The OS-SWPPP is simply everything in the C-SWPPP that was submitted minus the engineering hydrology and calculations portion.
Persons interested in acquiring City and State Stormwater PERMITS as a secondary permittee or individual lot owner (builders) within a subdivision must submit the North Augusta Individual Lot Notice of Intent (IL-NOI) and associated documents and fees described on the form. Instructions are provided with the form.
If you need to modify your permit due to a major change (see SCDHEC CGP to identify what constitutes a major change) you must submit your design changes along with the Major Modification Form and supply it and a newly completed NOI form for a revised permit. All major modifications that increase disturbed area on a project must also be reviewed by the state once approval from the city is granted. The SWMD will submit our approval to the state. Once a letter is received from the state granting permit approval, the the work can start.
FEES: A Stormwater Management Permit Application Review Fee (further details are on the NOI application). The application fee is $100 per disturbed acre for large or small projects, with a $2,000 maximum. An additional SCDHEC NPDES permit fee of $125.00 is required only for projects with more than 1 acre of disturbed land or that are less than one acre and are part of a larger common plan of development (LCP).
ADDITIONAL FEES for Changes to NPDES Permits: Ownership/name change, and Individual Lot applications will require $125.00 SCDHEC fee as of January 1, 2013.
Required Notice of Termination (N.O.T.) for Completed Projects
A Notice of Termination (NOT) is required by SCDHEC for all projects permitted after September 1, 2006. The NOT can only be submitted after the North Augusta Stormwater Management Department has conducted a final inspection that shows that the project is complete and in compliance with all permit requirements.
In addition, the project engineer that developed the stormwater pollution prevention plan (C-SWPPP) must submit a statement that all requirements of the C-SWPPP are correctly installed and operating in compliance with the permit. To assist in the process, the links below are provided.
SCDHEC Guidance Document on Notices of Terminations
SCDHEC Notice of Termination (NOT)
Mail Notice of Termination (NOT) form and required supporting documents to SCDHEC at the following address:
SCDHEC Stormwater Permitting Section
2600 Bull Street
Columbia , SC 29201-1708
NOTE: A copy of the NOT form and documents must also be submitted to:
City of North Augusta Stormwater Management Department
Attn: T. Strickland
P. O. Box 6400
North Augusta , SC 29861-6400
For more information or questions related to Stormwater Permitting for construction or land disturbing activities please contact either:Tanya Strickland, Stormwater Manager, phone: 803 441-4246
Mailing address: P. O. Box 6400 North Augusta, SC 29861-6400
Fax Number: 803 441-4208