Contractor Licensing

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Building Standards
803-441-4227 or 4223

Municipal Building
100 Georgia Avenue
North Augusta, SC 29841

Business Hours
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

City Ordinance requires that all contractors must purchase a City Business License, a $1,000 License Permit Bond,  and be licensed by the State in their trade, if applicable.  State law requires that most trades be licensed through either the SC Contractors Licensing Board or the SC Residential Builders Commission.

Business Licenses can be obtained or verified by the Building Standards Department. For verification please call 803-441-4227 or 803-441-4223.

Business License Fee

 Type  Fees

Outside City

$40.00 for the first $2,000, $1.50 for each additional $1,000 or fraction thereof Application

Inside City

$20.00 for the first $2,000, $1.10 for each additional $1,000 or fraction thereof Application

By the Job

$40.00 for the first $2,000, $1.50 for each additional $1,000 or fraction thereof Application

State License Classifications      

Residential Builder

A Residential Builder is an independent contractor who constructs a residential building or structure for sale or who, for a fixed price, commission, fee, or wage undertakes or offers to undertake the construction or superintending of the construction of any building or structure which is not over three floors in height and which does not have more than sixteen units in the apartment complex, or the repair, improvement or re-improvement thereof to be used by another as a residence when the cost of the undertaking exceeds five thousand dollars.  The State requires testing and certification for this classification.

Residential Specialty Contractor

A Residential Specialty Contractor is an independent contractor who is not a licensed residential builder, who contracts with a licensed residential builder, general contractor, or individual property owner to do any construction work, repairs, improvement of re-improvement which requires special skills and involves the use of specialized construction trades or craft.  These contractors must obtain a Residential Specialty Card from the South Carolina Residential Builders Commission.

 Residential Specialty Contractors are limited to:

  • Vinyl and aluminum siding installers
  • Insulation installers
  • Roofers
  • Floor covering installers
  • Masons/concrete work
  • Dry wall installers
  • Carpenters
  • Stucco installers
  • Painters and wallpapering
General Contractor

A General Contractor is an entity which performs or supervises or offers to perform or supervise general construction.  A State license is required for commercial jobs over $5,000.

Mechanical Contractor

A Mechanical Contractor performs electrical, plumbing or heating and air work.  The City of North Augusta requires a Mechanical Contractors license issued by the South Carolina Contractor's Licensing Board to perform any of these trades.

Contact information for the South Carolina Contractors' Licensing Boards

Residential Builders Commission 

 110 Centerview Drive
201 Kingstree Building
Columbia, SC  29211

 General and Mechanical Contrator's Licensing Board

110 Centerview Drive
102 Kingstree Building
Columbia, SC


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer