Construction Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Sediment & Erosion Control

As a component of the development process and the Stormwater Management Program, any public or private, industrial, commercial, or residential subdivision project that will be engaging in any land disturbing activity in the city is required to submit documentation to acquire a land disturbance (stormwater) permit from the city and and also a second permit from the state, the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) General Permit for Construction (SCR10000).

Both permits can be acquired by submitting one application to the North Augusta Stormwater Management Department.

Redevelopment and property enhancements to existing commercial and residential subdivisions may be exempt from this permitting requirement, but that is not always the case. Make sure to contact the Stormwater Management department to verify the requirements for your project.

The Stormwater Management Department is committed to providing each applicant assistance with the process. If at any time there is a question about obtaining, maintaining, or terminating a stormwater permit (city or state), you may contact our office for assistance.

 There are two types of project permits and up to two permits will be issued for each project:
  • Projects that disturb less than one acre (<1) and are not part of a larger common plan (LCP) of development. These are considered small stand alone projects that are exempt from state permitting in most cases. One permit will be issued, a City of North Augusta small project permit.
  • Projects that disturb greater than 1 acre (>1) of land during construction. These are considered large projects and (2) permits will be issued from only one application, a City of North Augusta large project permit and a state NPDES permit. The city oversees the state program as well as its own.

General Overview about Acquiring a Stormwater Permit-Flowchart

Building Lots 

In some instances, an individual lot permit will be required by a developer. The Individual Lot Notice of Intent (IL-NOI) application has instructions provided. If this type of permit in needed, make sure that the subdivision developer provides you with the existing  NPDES Permit number and Stormwater Management Plan for the project. The City of North Augusta will not provide those documents to you unless extenuating circumstances are present, and there will be a cost associated with copies of documents. If you are required by a developer to pull an individual lot permit, you will need to submit the application form along with a $125 individual lot permit fee to SCDHEC in Columbia SC.

Application Fees
Permit Forms & Documents
Design Guides for Engineers